About Us

We are local residents of Kempshott and surrounding areas who have an interest is exploring the history of the area and  capturing some of the flavour of past times in this western part of Basingstoke while it still resides in the memories of our older  neighbours.

You may think that there is nothing much to say about Kempshott - but how wrong you would be! Just explore the notes on our  Local Topics page, you will be amazed….

Where and when do we meet?

We meet  four times a year at 2.30pm -  4.30pm in Kempshott Village Hall. Just come along and join the 40 - 50 members who regularly attend. Entrance to the park is off Pack Lane just east of the post office.

We ask just £2 per head contribution towards the refreshments and the hall hiring fee.








Details of upcomin
g meetings  will appear in the Kempshott Kourier each month.
Some members are long term residents with knowledge of the area from personal experience. Others have settled here more recently but are keen to know more of the area and help to research our history.

Contact us on 01256 470171 or email kempshotthistorygroup@sky.com

Genealogical Nominal Index


Background

Kempshott has been settled for a long time. Evidence dates back to the Bronze age.There were numerous round barrows in the area, some have now been built on, including  one in Buckskin. In the iron Age farmsteads were established every mile or so and evidence can still be seen as crop marks in the fields to the west of the modern development.

Trading routes to the south west established in the Iron Age and still used in Mediaeval times passed through the area  and a route known to the Romans as Iter XV ran along the edge of Kempshott from Silchester to Winchester. This Roman road still exists as the footpath and bridleway which marks the western boundary of modern Kempshott.

In the Domesday Book Kempshott is called Campesette which probably derived from the Old English ‘Cempa’, a warrior and the West Saxon ‘Sciete’ a corner, a strip of land. So the name could mean ‘Warrior’s Corner’

Until the late nineteenth century Kempshott was the name given to the area near the top of Kempshott Hill. Basingstoke Golf Club now occupies the site of Kempshott Park, a late mediaeval house rebuilt in the late 18th century in the fashionable Georgian style and rented by The Prince Regent as a hunting lodge.

In the eighteenth and nineteenth century the Kempshott area was part of the agricultural economy of northern Hampshire and originally called Basingstoke Down. This was a large area of common land at the convergence of several ancient tracks and drove roads. Sheep and cheese fairs were held on the Down twice yearly from the fifteenth century: and from the seventeenth century until the Down was enclosed in 1787 it was the site of the Basingstoke Race Course. Modern Kempshott grew from the early twentieth century in the triangle between the Roman road Winchester Road and Pack Lane until it finally joined Basingstoke as the town expanded westwards.

Recent Announcements

  • Basingstoke Races - written and printed locally Jean Dale’s book on the Basingstoke racecourse -“Basingstoke Races” - which were held right here in Kempshott for nearly 200 years in the 17th and 18th centuries, is now published. Copies can be obtained at £6.50each. Please contact Barry Dale on 01256 352776 or via email jeanandbarry@outlook.com.
    Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:39 AM by Kempshott History Group
  • Programme for 2016 We now have a draft programme for 2017. Any suggestions for topics or volunteers to speak please let us know                
    Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:41 AM by Kempshott History Group
Showing posts 1 - 2 of 2. View more »


2019 Programme of meetings:    

January 11th     

Marion Wolstencroft presents " The history of Kempshott 1900 - 1920. It's people and it's buildings."

April 12th

Guest speaker Bob Clarke presents "The Impostress: the dishonest adventures of Sarah Wilson."

July 12th

Barry Hedger presents his researches "Down Grange 1780 - 1832. The early years of a gentleman's estate."


October 11th

Jane Hussey presents , "A historical look at crime in Kempshott."






Comments